Do you procrastinate, and put off the daily organizing tasks that you need to accomplish because it’s just not fun doing them?
I used to put off doing the dishes after a meal because I didn’t like doing so, and was too busy in my life. I didn’t and still don’t have a dishwasher to clean them. Before my move, the dishes used to pile up in the sink. It’s not a pretty site to see them sitting there with the food sticking to the plates, pots and silverware.
Sometimes it’s easier to ignore what needs doing until the next day, or the next day, or…… If, like me you care about your home, and really dislike the clutter (e.g. dishes in sink, clothes piled on the floor, too many papers on the desk) I bet you’re thinking, how can I find pleasure in doing so?
Plan something fun/enjoyable to do during or after you’ve finished the chore.
- Create a ‘chore reward chart’ to stick colorful stars, flower or animal stickers on after each task is completed.
- If you wash the dishes right after eating or load the dishwasher, there will be less to take care of, and it will be quick. Leaving you more time to do fun things.
- Once the task is done (or while doing it), listen to your favorite music, book-on-tape, or talk show to educate and inspire yourself.
- Reward yourself with a pedicure or manicure, or sit down and read a favorite book or magazine.
- Ask a friend or family member to help you, tell you some jokes, sing with you.
- Call a friend you enjoy talking to, and brag about your accomplishment.
If you choose some of these practices while doing these tasks, and take care of them regularly (making them a habit) you will feel really good when you get up in the morning and the sink is clear of dishes, or the clothes in your bedroom are hanging in the closet instead of piled on the floor. I know I do!
Try some of my suggestions to make doing tasks and getting organized fun. Do you have some other ideas? Let me know.
NOTE: I will be teaching a ‘Free Yourself from Paper Clutter’ class
Tuesday, 7:00-8:30 PM – March 5, 2019 – $28
And same class on:
Wednesday, 7:00-8:30 PM – April 24, 2019 – $28
Contact – Brookline High School
115 Greenough Street, Brookline
For a FREE 1/2 hour phone consultation
to discuss your clutter issues, contact Judy at:
ClutterClearerCoach@comcast.net or 857-919-4735