If you haven’t already begun getting organized for the holidays, then it’s time to start. Christmas and New Years are almost upon us. Here are some tips for simplifying and getting organized for the holidays.
1. Plan and stick to a realistic budget which includes the cost of gifts, new holiday clothing, decorations, meals, special events and traveling.
2. Use a calendar to keep track of your holiday activities and manage your schedule so you don’t get stressed out.
3. Think about who you’ll be giving presents to and what you’d like to give them. Then, make a list, check it twice, and cross off each gift as you buy it.
4. Update your holiday card list. Create a spreadsheet, Outlook or Gmail list to keep track of who you’ve sent cards to. Buy extra cards to send to anyone you’ve gotten a card from that you hadn’t included on your list. If you don’t want to go the old fashioned snail mail route, send an on-line E-greeting card. There are some terrific e-cards on the website – www.jacquielawson.com
5. Start gift shopping early to avoid crowds and last minute anxiety. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing while shopping, shop at off-peak times, or shop on-line. Look for coupons, good deals and sales.
6. Wrap gifts and label them as you buy them, so you’re not left with a closet full of gifts to wrap at the last minute.
7. Take out your holiday decorations and check them to see if any should be repaired or thrown out, and to determine if you need to buy new or additional decorations.
8. Spend some time un-cluttering your home. While doing so, keep a look-out for any items that you don’t need any more that can be sold on eBay, made into handmade gifts, be donated to a local charity, or be re-gifted.