Spring Cleaning and Organizing
This post will give you some tips for spring cleaning and organizing.
Spring is here! It’s time for spring cleaning and organizing, get rid of items you no longer use or need, and re-purpose things you already have.
Here are some spring cleaning and organizing tips I recommend to help you get started:
1. Thoroughly clean one room each week. If your home isn’t too big, this should take you to mid May. Vacuum, dust, rearrange furniture, purge, and in addition, organize the stuff in each room. This week however, I have vacuumed the apartment and disinfected the light switches, door knobs and stair banisters.
2. Sort through one shelf, drawer, box, cabinet and bin at a time. Keep it simple, so you do not get overwhelmed. I have de-cluttered and organized my kitchen utensil drawer that I was letting get out of hand. Because, it’s never too late to take control of your own clutter.
3. Practice the age old expression: ‘When in doubt, throw it out’. If I don’t love, need, use, or want an item, therefore, I throw it out! Or, maybe, give it away, or recycle it.
4. Don’t spend money, be creative and re-purpose the containers you already have! Look around and you will most likely find empty boxes, canvas shopping bags, or plastic containers for storage. For example, I’ve been using my plastic covered containers and bags as needed and they help a lot. I’ve used a Styrofoam container for storing jewelry.
5. Take a few minutes before work or after work to recycle plastics, wash a counter, sweep the kitchen floor. Consequently, life will be easier if you take on this task each day. Yesterday, I washed the dish drain tray, which took about three minutes.
6. Don’t worry about following someone else’s system for cleaning/organizing. Use the system that works for you. My way may be different from yours, so do what works for you.
7. And, make a promise to yourself to not procrastinate. Get it done! Fore instance, I’m a big procrastinator, but when I get a household task or organizing project accomplished, I feel great!
Look around your home or apartment – what can you use in a different way?
And, do you have any TIPS for spring cleaning and organizing that work for you? I’d love to hear about them.
Real Simple magazine has lots of tips on spring cleaning and organizing!
If you live in the Boston area, and would like a
FREE 1/2 hour telephone consultation to discuss your
clutter issues, contact Judy at: [email protected]
Leave a Reply