Are you having trouble letting go and uncluttering?
At some point, I may want or have to move from my present home, and will need to ask myself some questions regarding what to do with all of my possessions. Whether you are moving or staying put, answering the following ten questions honestly will help you decide what to keep and what to let go of:
1. Do I use this item regularly? YES NO
2. If not, do I love the item? YES NO
3. Am I keeping this because I think I should love it? YES NO
4. Do I feel obligated to hold on to it? YES NO
5. If I let go of it, will it really hurt someone else feelings? YES NO
6. Am I holding on to this item because someday I will repair it? YES NO
7. Am I saving this ‘just in case’ I may need or use it some day? YES NO
8. Do I have extras (I never use) of the same thing? YES NO
9. Can I use another item that will work just as well? YES NO
10. Can I store something more useful in this space? YES NO
If, when answering these questions you found that you don’t like, will never use, will never repair, or feel guilty letting go of something, you’ll know that the item doesn’t mean that much to you. And, that it’s time to get rid of it, or give it away.
If you notice that you have a hard time deciding, or saying NO to particular items, put them aside and look at them in a couple of days. Then, ask yourself these same 10 questions, and you may be surprised that you change your answer from NO to YES.
If you live in the Boston area, and would like a FREE 1/2 hour telephone consultation to discuss your clutter issues, contact me at email@example.com